Making Sense Of It All: From Birth to Adulthood (Reaching Families)
The book covers a range of subjects from early years and diagnosis to school and college and transition to adult life. In between there is content on looking after you, benefits & money matters, education, getting support from health and social care, local leisure opportunities, adolescence and independent living. It also contains a directory of over 400 local and national organisations and an extensive jargon buster.
What we do:
- Content includes coping with diagnosis, getting a 2nd opinion, finding out more about your child's condition, getting support from other parents, etc.
- Understanding and applying for benefits you and your child may be entitled to including Disability Living Allowance, Carers Allowance and Tax Credits
- Understanding the EHCP system of education for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
- Finding out how to secure support from various departments and agencies within health and social services
- Finding out how to access local social and leisure activities
Our users say:
"Making Sense Of It All has become the first port of call for parent-carers and is widely read by members of our group" Maria Louise Cook, Chairperson, Autism Support Crawley