Reaching Families, a parent-carer led charity
Reaching Families is a parent-carer led charity established to "empower, inform and support parents and families of children & young people with special educational needs and disabilities in West Sussex." We achieve our mission through the delivery of information, training and peer support to parent-carers.
What we do:
- Information: Making Sense Of It All - parent guide covering issues from birth to adulthood available in paperback and ebook format Factsheets and animations - covering a wide range of subjects and issues on SEND
- Training: Free workshops on a range of subjects including anxiety, ADHD, ASC, behaviour, benefits, education, resilience, sleep, etc. Plus 2 courses - Making Sense of It All Foundation Course & Making Sense of Wellbeing. Delivered in person and via zoom
- Benefits Advice Service: Supporting parents of children and young people with SEND applying for Carers Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independent Payments (PIP). 1-2-1 advice sessions and support with editing draft applications
- Face2Face Befriending: Our team of specially trained volunteer befrienders provide emotional & practical support to parents during the period of their child’s diagnosis, help them find out about and access other services and prepare for the journey ahead
- Umbrellas: Parent support groups monthly in Billingshurst, Littlehampton, Worthing and weekly, via Zoom Providing a supportive, relaxed and non-judgemental environment in which parents can swap experiences, share information and resources
Our users say:
"Reaching Families offers a unique product in West Sussex. It is comforting to know that the organisation is parent carer led but offers practical tools to assist us in our day to day lives"