Reaching Families, a parent-carer led charity
Reaching Families is a parent-carer led charity established to "empower, inform and support parents and families of children/young people with special needs and disabilities in West Sussex." We achieve this by the delivery of information, training and support groups to parent-carers.
What we do:
- Making Sense of It All - our popular parent-carer guide is essential reading for parents of children and young people with SEND. We have just published an expanded edition covering issues from birth to adulthood (released January 2022).
- Factsheets - Our factsheets library cover a wide range of issues including major childhood disabilities and associated subjects. They have been localised to ensure that parents can find out about relevant services and resources here in West Sussex.
- Training Roadshow - we deliver a series of workshops at venues and locations across West Sussex and via zoom. Subjects covered include Understanding Challenging Behaviour, DLA/PIP, Education, Sensory Issues and Stress/ Resilience.
- Umbrellas - we run 3 support groups for parents or carers of a child or young person with additional needs or a disability in Billingshurst, Littlehampton and Worthing. We also run weekly zoom Umbrellas meetings.
- Befriending - provides emotional and practical support to parent-carers of children during the period of their child’s diagnosis. Our team of trained befrienders can help parents learn more about their child’s diagnosis and prepare for the journey ahead.
Our users say:
"Reaching Families offers a unique product in West Sussex. It is comforting to know that the organisation is parent carer led but offers practical tools to assist us in our day to day lives"